Wednesday, February 12, 2014

The Back Hall So Far

Yesterday I made some updates to the back entry hall in our home, and I'm excited to show my progress.

DSC02996


This hallway is the entrance area off of our garage.  The garage door is just to the right of the edge of this photo (you can just barely see the edge of the door frame).  The first door on the right is a coat closet.  The end of the hall is my craft room, and the door on the left beyond the coat rack is a full bathroom.

The things I want to show today are the two pieces hanging on the walls.  They are both "trash to treasure" items that I put together yesterday.

First, this framed piece:


DSC02981

Last November, we traveled to Hawaii for the Sweet Adelines International convention, and stayed an extra week to see the sights.  On the Big Island, we visited the Mountain Thunder coffee plantation, and I picked up a burlap bag with their logo on it.


DSC02983

I've mentioned before that I love to use souvenirs as home decor.  So far I've done that in the guest bedroom, and I've used meaningful pieces to decorate the piano room.  I really love looking around the house and seeing memories of all kinds.   So using this souvenir as decor was an easy choice.

To put the piece together, I cut out the burlap logo, leaving a wide margin around it.  I frayed the edges by pulling out some of the threads.  Then I mounted it on some simple brown craft paper using double sided adhesive tape.


DSC02982

The frame and mat were things I had in the house.  The frame used to be gold, so I spray painted it black.  The mat used to be a forest green, so I spray painted it red to match the logo on the burlap.


DSC02986

I'm happy with this piece - it adds a pop of color, brings back memories, and is a large enough scale to work with these tall ceilings.


DSC02989


The other piece I have to share today is the mirror hanging above the coat rack.  

DSC02993

This mirror started life with me as a $7 Goodwill Store find, and it was a dark green stained nightmare.  A quick treatment of black spray paint, and some Windex along with a razor blade to scrap gunk off of the glass, and it's now a great addition to the coat closet and coat rack area in the hallway.

DSC02995

The black monogram "H" is a recent purchase too - it got a quick coat of black spray paint, and is now awaiting its final placement somewhere on this wall.  (though as a short term solution, I think hanging it on the coat rack is kind of cute. )


DSC02994

When you come in from the garage, this is the wall that you see. I'm thinking of filling this wall with various prints and art works, in a gallery wall style. So this large bare spot would have some sort of "welcome home" sign, I think, plus other smaller pieces mixed around.

DSC02999

You can tell that the coat rack and mirror are not centered on the wall. Drat. The coat rack was here when we moved in, and I centered the mirror on the coat rack because it looked lopsided otherwise. So now I have the challenge of creating a gallery wall with one big piece off center. Oh joy - I guess it's good that I love a challenge! :-)

DSC02992


I'm happy that the hallway is starting to take a little bit of shape.   Now to figure out the rest of the gallery wall.


DSC02990

__________________________
Linking to:

Worthing Court - The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style - Wow Us Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants - What's it Wednesday
Fluster Buster -  Fluster's Creative Muster
Place Of My Taste -  Work It Wednesday
Someday Crafts -  Whatever Goes Wednesday
A Stroll Thru Life -  Inspire Me Tuesday
Between Naps on the Back Porch - Metamorphosis Monday

__________________________

I'd like to invite you to come back next Tuesday to my weekly "Happy Tuesday" Link Party.  Each week we're sharing anything and everything that makes us happy!  That's easy enough, right?   The party starts on Monday nights at 9pm Eastern, and lasts all day Tuesday.   Please come and join in! You can read more about the party by clicking on the image below.


Happy Tuesday

No comments:

Post a Comment