Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy Tuesday

I've been pondering the question lately:  What becomes of a blog that's entitled "Holidays at the Harris Home" when the holidays are over?  I know that I don't want to be done blogging, but the thing is, I'm not really into any holidays other than Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.  And I'm not even all that much excited about New Year's, but I include it here because it's kind of a package deal, you know?  But I just can't get myself excited over blogging a lot for the other holidays that come up in the year.  Don't get me wrong - I love me a good day off of work!  and I do get all Federal holidays off (helloooooo MLK Day! You scrumptious day off just two weeks after New Year's, you!)  But our family life doesn't really revolve around any of the other holidays, we don't really decorate, we don't have parties, we don't do countdowns.  With the exception of birthdays and Christmas, I guess we're kind of the non-celebratory types as it turns out.  (Is that bad?)


After thinking it over the last few days, I've not really come to any conclusions other than that I want to keep the blog alive. And I want to put positive stuff out there.  No complaining, no bashing, no whining.  Maybe offer a bright spot in the day of my readers, maybe offer something worthwhile. Spread some good cheer, perhaps?  Maybe share a joy, maybe something new and fun, maybe something inspiring.

So while this doesn't totally answer my original question as to the fate and purpose of my blog,  today I am beginning a series of weekly posts called "Happy Tuesday."  Happy Tuesday will from now on be a day of the week that I devote to writing and posting about something that makes me happy.  Maybe we can consider this a holiday unto itself each week?  I will celebrate Happy Tuesday every week.  Will you join in? (Maybe in the near future I'll figure out how to do a link party... would you participate if I hosted a Happy Tuesday blog party?  Let me know...)

Today's Happy Tuesday Celebration:  www.HelpOthers.org

In honor of my first official Happy Tuesday, I want to share a neat website with you.  It's called www.HelpOthers.org,  and it is dedicated to recounting Random Acts of Kindness committed by folks out there in the world.  You can submit your own Random Act story, and you can read about others' Random Acts.   It's a great way to pass a little bit of time and cheer yourself up if you are feeling blue.  I really recommend spending some time over there.



They also have these cool things called "Smile Cards".  These are little tokens, the size of a business card, that you can hand out to folks you meet, or you can leave behind as a secret signature on a Random Acts of Kindness that you commit.  You can download pre-made Smile Cards, or you can create your own.  You can even request that HelpOthers.org send you some Smile Cards for free!


I'll admit that I have not yet used the Smile Cards.  I don't know why - but maybe this is the time for me to change that.  I think I'll commit to committing one Random Act of Kindness this week, and I'll leave a Smile Card behind.  Next Tuesday I'll report back on what I did and how it went.  Unless of course it turns out that committing a Random Act of Kindness is not something that makes me happy.  Then it would not be good for a Happy Tuesday post.  But somehow I can't see that happening. ;-)

How about you?   What makes you happy today?  How will you celebrate Happy Tuesday?   I'd love to hear about your happy moments - won't you please leave a comment and share your happiness?

Happy Tuesday!


Linking to All Things Inspired today.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Tuesday to you! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea of Happy Tuesday as Happy is my "One Little Word" for 2011.
    I am Happy on Tuesday because it was my night off, I finished my Winter Outside Decorating and some additions to my Christmas wreaths before I store them away.
    I spent an enjoyable evening with my hubby and actually got a full 8 hours of sleep ( with a Tylenol PM which is a rarity for me as I only sleep about 5 hours a day!!
    So Tuesday was a very Happy Day for me!!

    Hugs,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete