Thursday, January 6, 2011

True spirit of giving?

In the weeks leading up to Christmas, I was reading hundreds of blog posts from all over blog land, all with so many great ideas for making the holidays merry and bright.  I don't remember where I saw this tip, but I loved it and wanted to try it.  The original post was about how to inject some creativity into the packages that we mail to someone, and showed an example of using fresh cut pine boughs and scented pinecones instead of packing peanuts.  I loved this idea, and was excited to try it on a package that I was sending to a family member.

DSC06706

I followed the original post's design concept, and individually wrapped my little packages in plain white tissue, using red and green ribbons to finish them very simply and elegantly.  Then I clipped fresh limbs off of pine trees in my back yard, and tossed in some cinnamon scented pinecones.  The box smelled great, and looked great too.  I was pretty darn proud of how clever this was!

DSC06705

I mailed it off, and eagerly awaited the news that the recipient had received it.  I guess I expected some sort of comment on the unusual filler.  Maybe some acknowledgement that they enjoyed receiving the fresh scents.  But alas, it was not to be.  The recipient did say that they received the package, and they thanked me kindly for the gifts.  But no mention at all about the wrapping or the pine-fresh scents.  No comments about the uniqueness of the idea.

Oh well.

Giving is not about receiving any sort of compliments on your creativity, or about showing off your newest idea.  It is, of course, about generosity.  Clearly the fact that I was disappointed in the reaction shows that I didn't have the true spirit of giving going on here.  I'm chagrined to admit that.

But maybe I'll save the cute ideas for a different recipient next time.  ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it WAS a cute idea! I would love to open it. But maybe the branches dried out before they got there? That is the only reason I can think of to not mention it. And I think you did have the right spirit - you were disappointed about the reaction to the package, not looking for praise for your gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have LOVED to receive a gift with freshness in it! The smell that would of wofted out when it was opened would have been a burst of Christmas. Keep doing it girl, someone will be pleasantly surprised by the extra gift :)

    ReplyDelete