Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Easy Pinecone Bird Feeders

A few days after Christmas, I had some spare time and spare pinecones on hand, so I put together some easy pinecone bird feeders for the back yard.  I remember doing this when I was little, in Girl Scouts and in church camp. Then when I had young kids, we did this together.  And even now,  I like to make these now and then just to add a little something different to the bird feeders.

title

It really couldn't be any easier. For this activity you need: pinecones, string, peanut butter, and birdseed or breadcrumbs. (I used both.)

IMG_0839

Start with some pinecones and some string of some sort.  You could use ribbon, string, or twine.  I had some twine on hand.   My pinecones are on the large side - roughy 4-5" long and 2-3" in diameter.  They're old cinnamon scented ones that I've had for years and years, and they're starting to fall apart.  Don't ask why I have years-old pinecones... when it comes to Christmas decorations, I save everything.

IMG_0835

Anyway... tie the string around the end of the pinecone, getting up under the leaves and making a knot to hold it tight.   You could make a loop out of your string  to hang onto tree branches if you wanted. I just made a long tail with mine.  But you could make yours much cuter if you want.

IMG_0838

Next, smear some peanut butter all over the pinecone, getting it smooshed down deep into the pinecone leaves.  Don't be stingy with the peanut butter - get it in there good and deep.  I'm sure some critter or another will appreciate the extra protein and fat that you're providing during the cold winter months.

IMG_0841


Now, roll the peanut buttery pinecone in the birdseed...

IMG_0842

...or into the breadcrumbs.

IMG_0845

Make sure the entire pinecone and peanut buttery areas are fully covered.

IMG_0843

Now all you have to do is hang them outside in a tree. It helps to have a low tree, and/or a tall son, to hang them.

IMG_0846

Now sit back in a nice comfy patio chair (or, sit inside beside the window) and enjoy your new bird feeding station.

IMG_0848 

How about you... Do you have a bird feeder in your yard? I'd love to hear about it! Please leave a comment to say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment