Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Gratitude - Day 351 - Dec 17, 2014

I'm thinking today of my friend who recently was diagnosed with three cancerous tumors, including one on her brain.   She had surgery a week ago to remove the brain tumor and has been recovering since then.   Now she's moving to a rehab center to do some occupational therapy, because even though the surgery went well, it turns out of course that you can't really just cut a tumor off of your brain with no side effects.  Her body is missing some of those brain cells and needs to re-learn some things, like how to keep her right arm from floating around randomly in space, and how to walk steadily, and how to keep track of time, how to read her Facebook timeline.   You know, the important things in life.



Her story is really just so crazy.   Already an incredibly creative person, she has been right-brain dominant her whole life.  Now because the surgery was on her left brain, she is even more right-brain dominant and is telling us all how in tune she is with the beauty and love of the world around her.  She's finding joy in each moment.   Yes, joy.

Isn't it odd that something like Stage IV cancer will bring you the most unexpected gifts?   That in one of the most difficult times in our lives, we can find the most beautiful things?   It's just more evidence of the strange and glorious dichotomy that exists in our world - good and bad, light and dark, love and fear, joy and sadness, all existing at the same time in every situation.

I'm grateful today (every day) for the gift of my friend, who has taught us all so much about grace in difficult times.   She is a beautiful soul.   I'm so blessed to have her in my life.



______________________

Click below to see all of my posts for my

GratitudeProject2014

I'd love for you to share in this project.  What's making you feel grateful today?
Please leave a comment to share your thoughts today.

2 comments:

  1. I will pray for your friend. We have a neighbor who was diagnosed in the Fall with 12 tumors on her brain! NO symptoms?? She had surgery but I haven't seen her yet. Please keep her in your prayers if you could.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pinky, I'm so sorry to hear of your neighbor, will definitely add her to the prayer list. My friend had no symptoms until she had a seizure a week and a half ago... and now her cancer is so advance. It's happened that way with a lot of people I know. Very scary, and a reminder to live every moment to the fullest the best we can.

      Delete