Friday, October 10, 2014

Gratitude - Day 283 - Oct 10, 2014


It's been a quiet "stay around the house" kind of week here in the Harris Home, and for that I'm grateful.   

Since I retired a year ago, my life has become a very "on and off", or "hot and cold" cyclical kind of life.   I'm either at home in Raleigh with no real commitments or obligations, or I'm traveling with my quartet, Lustre, for rehearsals or shows or contests or coaching gigs or something.   Throw in some travel to see our kids, a vacation here or there, and it turns out that my life is very segmented between "home" and "not-home."   

Coming off of two weeks of "not-home," this week's "home" segment feels good.   I've been puttering around, tackling jobs without any hurry, doing what feels good and what strikes me as important.   Yesterday I cleaned up old plants in the flowerbeds for an hour or so - nowhere near completing the job, but getting a nice start and spending some time in the yard is always good for my soul.

Today I'll be doing more of the same, wandering from job to job, project to project, a little of this and a little of that.   Tomorrow, I'm back on the road for a quick up-and-back to Virginia to sing on a show on Saturday night.  I'll be back on Sunday night and will have another "stay around the house" week next week.  

All of this still feels a little strange to me. My body and my mind haven't quite accepted that this new lifestyle is "ok". I often fall into "I should be more stable," but I'm learning to accept that there is more than one way to live your life, and doing it this way works for me and my husband and my interests, and so it's just fine.

Wow... I didn't intend this to turn into a "true confessions" post, but there it is.   

I'm grateful for my life, my husband who makes it possible, my hobbies and interests and pursuits that feed me, my burgeoning identity as an "artist".    When I think of it this way, it's very invigorating and gives me goosebumps.  How did I get so lucky?



_________________________________

Click below to see all of my posts for my

GratitudeProject2014

I'd love for you to share in this project.  What's making you feel grateful today?
Please leave a comment to share your thoughts today.

No comments:

Post a Comment