Wednesday, January 14, 2015

My 2015 Resolutions - Week 2 of 52

Here's my second update of my 2015 New Year's Resolutions.   I tried a new method this year, and I'm hoping that weekly updates will keep me on track!

For Myself

1. Get control of my weight and my health. 
I've been attempting to follow the Weight Watchers "Simply Filling" meal plan, which basically means that you can eat whatever you want, however much you want, except the foods have to come off of a master list of "Power foods".  The Power Food list is basically whole fruits and veggies, whole grain, fat-free dairy, lean protein.  If you eat something off of this list, then you have to log it, and you only get so many off-list foods per day/week.

I do pretty well with this plan each day, until late afternoon when I get these overwhelming urges to eat sugar and carbs.   Some days I can fight off those urges, and some days I can't.   Yesterday was a particularly bad day where I was insatiably hungry ALL DAY.   Net result? I made some pretty bad choices this week when those kinds urges hit.

Weigh in today at WW:  -.6lb from last week.  I'd be a lot happier if this weren't the sam .6lb that I've lost before - twice in the last two months.   Ugh.  

This topic continues to be my #1 challenge in life... how to eat right for a healthy body.  Continuing the learning process, I guess.

2.  Walk 70,000 steps per week. 
This has been great!   Two days this week I didn't hit my 10K steps per day goal, but five days I did.   I've been going for walks in the neighborhood each day, and it feels great!  Mostly I notice that I'm more relaxed and I sleep better on days when I've been out for a walk.  Am very happy with this new habit!

3.  Try one new thing per month to stretch and grow. 
This week I downloaded the Yoga Studio app and tried a couple of the beginner routines.   I guess I took the "stretch and grow" goal literally.  ;-)   So far, I'm enjoying the app, and plan to work with it about three times per week.

Also this week, my husband and daughter and I went to a free concert given by the Westminster Hand Bell Choir.   A little musical culture is good for the soul!   We enjoyed the concert and I'm really glad we ventured out for it.

4.  Daily journalling and reflecting.  
I've been faithful to this habit every day.  Sometimes I do it right away in the morning.  Sometimes it's more of an afternoon or late evening activity.  But it's always good.  I feel centered when I do this, and that's the point.

For My Family   

5.  Stay connected to family (and friends).
This week was kind of poor on this front - need to reach out and talk to my family more in the coming week.  On the bright side, I've had some great conversations with my daughter, who is still home for winter break from college.  So I've been loving that.

6.  Participate in our son's wedding plans.  
I haven't done anything specific in the past seven days, but coming up this weekend we're flying Minnesota (yes, in cold and frigid January!) to go bridesmaid dress shopping.  So that will be fun!

For Friends and My Community    

7.  Extend at least two invitations per month to friends.
This week I enjoyed a morning walk and long chat with a friend. This is something I try to do weekly, though we don't always make it every week.

I'll be in Maryland for a few days later this month, and I plan to use that opportunity to reconnect with a couple people I've been missing lately.

8.  Volunteer at least three hours per month in my community.  
Big fat zero on this one.   Better get cracking!

For Our Home

9.  Purge and organize the house by May 1.   
Umm... well, I've taken down all the Christmas stuff, and made a couple bags of "give away" decorations, does that count?   (Let's not focus on the fact that I haven't put away much of the Christmas stuff... it's all sitting on the dining room table right now!)

10.  Work in the yard at least 3 hours per week.  
No, not this week.   Bummer.

11.  Allow time for at least two fun home decor projects per month.   
Yes!   I put up new curtains in the living room and redecorated the fireplace area.   And it felt wonderful!  I love this, and need to make more time for things like this.

For Sweet Adelines

12.  Personal singing rehearsal at least 4 hrs per week.  
Yep, have done this.   yay for me, yay for the quartet!

13.  Do daily vocal exercises for 15 minutes, for 30 days.  
Nope.  I've totally been a slacker in this goal.  I HATE those exercises!   Need to recommit to this goal... and now I need to do it through Feb 10th to make up for the days in January I didn't do it.  Ugh.   But if I do it, I will have a stronger, more flexible voice.  Eyes on the prize, Jenny, eyes on the prize.

14.  Complete the CHC New Member Handbook by Feb 28th.  
Haven't done a single thing on this.   Better get cracking!

15.  Serve the Region 19 Silver Sorority champion's organization with at least 2 hours of activity per week.  
I've been in conversation via email with a couple of people on a couple of topics, and I organized a board meeting for later this month.   So yes, at least I end this week's recap list with something positive to say!


How about you? How ar you doing with your New Year's resolutions?  I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

  1. Well, the weather has been FRIGID so we have not gotten out to walk in the mornings for about a week. I miss it and am TRYING to walk more around the house, go up and down the steps etc. but am NO where near my 10,000 steps a day. Bummer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally get this! Down here in Raleigh, I've been bundling up and heading out with tons of layers on, but the coldest temp we've had has only been in the upper 20's. Not pleasant by any means, but nowhere near as cold as some other parts of the country!

      Delete