Saturday, December 14, 2013

Welcome to Our New Home

Welcome to our new home!  We moved this summer, from Maryland to North Carolina.  Our new home is a bit smaller than our last one, as we now have no kids living at home full time anymore.  This Christmas season, I've had the fun task of figuring out how to decorate the new home for the holidays using all my old stuff.  We certainly have enough decorations to completely deck the halls here, with only minimal new purchases.

I know it's been a while since I've entered anything new into this blog, and I guess I don't really know where it will go from here, but for the moment, I'm excited to share some things in this space. Hope those of you who happen to find me here enjoy your stay!

For this first post, I'd like to share some photos of the front of the house and our foyer.

DSC01019


Our home is a fairly new home, built in 2006 in the transitional style, with lots of hints of "southern". I love the front porch, which extends around to the left side with enough room for a swing. We've decorated this year very simply with lighted garlands on the railings and around the door, and wreaths on the lower level windows. We decided not to tackle the upstairs windows this year, and only did things that required the 7ft step ladder or lower.


DSC01024

Through the glass of the front door, you can glimpse the Christmas decorations that are happening inside.  I have really enjoyed decorating this house in the last couple of weeks.  Let's take a peek!


DSC01001

As soon as you enter, you're greeted in the foyer with the first of our trees.




DSC00984

This tree follows the warm green, brown and gold color scheme of the dining room and piano room, which are immediately on the right and left of the foyer respectively.  There is also a bit of a music theme on this tree, to tie with the piano room.   I hope to showcase these rooms, as well as the rest of the house, in future posts.

DSC01040

The hallway leads straight back to the rear of the house.  It's a little bit of a straight shot sightline, and so I like having the tree in the foyer to welcome guests and set an immediate festive mood.

DSC01051

The hallway currently houses a short bookshelf unit. On top of the shelves, I have a set of wooden deer that I really enjoy. I found these at Hobby Lobby a couple years ago.  I don't know what it is, but I just really like them.  I like the curved antlers and the scrolling carvings on them, and to me they just feel magical.


DSC01050


I've named this one Prancer...

DSC01049

... and this one is Vixen.


DSC01048

I've nestled both of them into some faux green stems, to which I've added some fresh Frasier Fir stems off of our Christmas tree.  I like mixing fresh and faux, I feel like it makes the faux greens seem more real.

So, that's it for this post.  I hope it won't be another 2 1/2 years before I post again!   If you've visited this post, please drop a comment to say hello.

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely and welcoming home! I'm sure it was fun to try to find a home for the décor you already had - sometimes, it makes everything feel brand new to present it in a different light. Looking forward to seeing the rest of it in your upcoming posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home is so pretty! I especially love what you did to the outside. The garland and wreaths are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete