Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Decorating the Tree, Step by Step

I'd like to share a description of how I went about decorating the Christmas tree in our foyer.

Title

Back in the early days of HGTV, I used to love to watch holiday decorating shows where the designer would show the step-by-step process of decorating the tree, and I learned so much from that.  So here I go, taking my own shot at sharing what I've learned.

I started out with a slim-line, pre-lit artificial tree.  The tree has white lights, to which I added two strands of green lights to add some color sparkle.


DSC00919

Next, I added some short lengths of ribbon.  Sometimes I wind the ribbon around the tree, but in this case, I am using two different types of ribbon, and I'm using only short lengths, placed onto the tree in a kind of spiral formation.  I started doing it this way one time because I didn't have enough ribbon to cover the entire tree.  I've come to like the way I have flexibility on where to put the ribbon, and it's easier this way, too, which is always good.

With one ribbon type, I created a loop on one end and cut a "v" in the tail end.

DSC00928

With the other ribbon type, I simply curled it around my fingers,

DSC00934

then stretched it out loosely,

DSC00935

and then sort of shaped it in a free-flowing back-and-forth wave, and put it on the tree.

DSC00936

I filled the tree with these types of ribbons before adding any other decorations.

  DSC00938

Next, I added some artificial florals in cream and gold colors. This is just to add some richness and fill in some gaps in the tree branches. 

DSC00948

DSC00946 

Next, I just started putting the ornaments on. The ornaments on this tree this year are green, gold, cream and brown. There is a lot of glitter too! And to tie with the piano room around the corner, we put a lot of music-related ornaments on this tree too.
  collageDSC01141

DSC01135 

This ornament is one that I made last year. It started out as a brown papier mache form from the craft store. I used Mod Podge, tissue paper, and Christmas sheet music printables to cover the form, then put an edge of black glitter around the edges.

  DSC01142-43

After a while, the tree was full, and I declared it done.   Well, almost.  I made a quick bow as a topper, and stuck it on top (totally forgot a picture, though). Then I put a gold tree skirt down, and THEN I declared it done.

DSC01140


DSC00984

Thanks for following along as I tried my first how-to demonstration.  I'd love to hear about how you decorated YOUR tree this year. Please leave a comment to share your ideas too.

__________________________
Linking to:
Savvy Southern Style's Wow Us Wednesday
Place of My Taste's Work it Wednesday
Someday Craft's Whatever Goes Wednesday
A Creative Princess' It's A Party Thursday
The Golden Sycamore's Inspiration Gallery Link Party Thursday
BNOTBP's Metamorphosis Monday
Be Inspired Friday



2 comments:

  1. It's absolutely beautiful! I love how you used the ribbon, instead of wrapping the tree. I am going to have to try that next year. Delightfully inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, your tree is so pretty and thanks for telling us how to use the ribbon. I've always been a bit confused about how to use it. Merry Christmas!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete