Monday, December 23, 2013

Holiday Sweets and Treats

At Christmas time, I love to make candies and other sweet treats for the family and to give as gifts to friends.   Over the years, I've tried probably hundreds of different recipes for sweets, cookies, and special snacks. I've done everything from pretzels dipped in almond bark to hand-tempered, hand-dipped French gourmet couverture chocolate truffles,  and everything in between.  For the last few years I've made upwards of 30 or 40 pounds (yes, POUNDS) of candy to be given as gifts or savored as treats during our family Christmas celebrations.  This year, I'm cutting back and only making about half of the recipes I made last year.   Here are some of the things I've made in the last few weeks.
(sorry for the poor photos - I didn't know I was going to blog about all of these.  ;-)

Chex Mix - recipe off of box
IMG_0700



Caramel Corn - recipe from "Candy Making for Dummies" book
IMG_0701


Minty Oreo Cookie Pops - as shown here
IMG_0717


Sugar Cookie Cut-outs - as shown here
IMG_0798


Turtles - Caramel, Toasted Pecans and Milk Chocolate
IMG_0800


Terps - Caramel, Toasted Almonds and Dark Chocolate
(our kids go to University of Maryland - Go Terps!)
IMG_0802


Bugle Bites - Bugles, White Chocolate and M&Ms
IMG_0799


Peppermint Bark - recipe from One Hundred Dollars A Month
IMG_0703


Coconut Macaroons - recipe from Yesterfood
IMG_0754


Homemade Butterfingers - recipe from Lynn's Kitchen Adventures
(no photo, sorry)

Homemade Snickers - recipe from Sugar-n-Spicegals
(no photo, sorry)

Given that we are only having five people here for Christmas, I'm hoping that no one will notice the candies and cookies that I had on my list that didn't get made:   chocolate covered pretzel rods, chocolate covered cherries, peppermint truffles, almond toffee, fudge, Christmas s'mores, spiced pecans, crescent cookies, ...


No comments:

Post a Comment