Monday, November 22, 2010

2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Back in 2008, we had the delightful opportunity to travel to New York City to see our son, then a high school senior, march in the Macy's Great American Marching Band in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.  Our son was one of 3 representatives from our state of Maryland who were invited to participate.

Our adventure started on the Saturday before Thanksgiving, when we all rode the train up to NYC together.
We dropped him off with the Macy's Band organizers, and then my husband and daughter and I enjoyed a vacation in NYC while our son rehearsed and did sight-seeing with the Macy's organizers.  Every once in a while our paths would cross and we'd see him for a few short moments, but then he was whisked away again. We finally were all together on the evening of Thanksgiving, when Macy's held a large banquet for all the band members and their families.

The trip was a once-in-a-lifetime event for our son, and a first-ever vacation alone with our daughter for my husband and I.  I think we all enjoyed the week, each in our own way.  We did notice that Thanksgiving Dinner was not quite what we traditionally enjoy. So after we arrived home on Friday, we cooked a full Thanksgiving meal on Saturday just to make up for it.

With Thanksgiving Day coming up, I thought I'd share some of the photos from the 2008 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.

We woke up at 3:00am and staked out our spots on Central Park West at 4:30am so that we would have front-row views.

Leading off the parade was the Macy's Great American Marching Band, with over 300 representatives from all 50 states.


Our son was second person in on our side of the street, playing trumpet, in the last row.  I hoped to get a good photo of him.


My hopes were dashed by the flag being twirled right between me and him!


Didn't get a better shot as he passed.  Bummer!   Our family members reported that they saw his foot on the TV broadcast when the band was performing at Herald Square.  Oh well, he was almost famous!

Here are some photos - I have a lot more, but these are the best of them.  I hope you enjoy!









We were also happy to see that the University of Oklahoma's Pride of Oklahoma Marching Band was also in the parade.  My husband and I both marched in this band when we were undergrads at OU, and so it was great to see and hear them again.  Boomer Sooner!



At the end of the parade of course, Santa Claus arrives.  This was a pretty special moment, made more so by my love of the "Miracle on 34th Street" movies (both versions).  




... and we heard him exclaim as he drove out of sight, "Macy's savings to all!  Let the shopping begin tonight!"

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!  













1 comment:

  1. Wow! what an honor! Too bad that flag-waver got in the way, though. You must have been so proud. And the parade is a great way to celebrate Thanksgiving Day. Hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete