Wednesday, February 18, 2015

My 2015 Resolutions - Week 7 of 52

Here's my seventh update of my 2015 New Year's Resolutions.   I tried a new method this year, and I'm hoping that weekly updates will keep me on track!

For Myself

1. Get control of my weight and my health. 
During the past week, I did a pretty good job of sticking to my food plans that I'd laid out.   There was one unexpected splurge at a restaurant on Friday, and Saturday night I had quite a few cocktails to celebrate Valentine's Day.  I may or may not have indulged in some sweet treats on Sunday and Monday.   Despite those indulgences, my meals and snacks were mostly on-plan this week.  My Weight Watchers meeting was cancelled this morning due to an ice storm that hit us Monday night, so I won't know my official weigh-in number, but my home scale (which is erratic and unreliable at best) is showing a good result.

Hey, just thought I should mention that I realize that "health" is not singularly determined by weight.   However, my overall health has been very good, with the exception of a risk of Type II Diabetes.  So I'm not overly concerned about "health" other than diet and exercise... if I can get both of those items into a healthy range, then the risk of Diabetes should take care of itself... and I'll verify that with a doctor's visit later this year.

2.  Walk 70,000 steps per week. 
I fell short again this week.  One day I had a super busy schedule and was out of the house 7:30am-8:00pm.  By the time I got home, there was no way I was going out for an evening walk!   A couple other days we got house-bound due to an ice and snow storm that hit us.   Here in Raleigh, we didn't get much in terms of inches of snow, but there's at least an inch of ice on the driveways and roads in our neighborhood.  No one here shovels, the county didn't plow, and we don't have sidewalks.  So walking in the neighborhood just wasn't going to happen for me!   I'm hoping that today the sun will start to melt things enough to make for some solid footing on the grassy edges of the road so I can get out of the house.

3.  Try one new thing per month to stretch and grow. 
In the past week I can't say I've done much in the way of "new" other than trying a few new recipes.  Actually, let me talk about that for a minute.  My whole adult life, I've never really enjoyed cooking, and I've considered it somewhat of a chore.   Even after I retired and agreed that daily meal prep was something that fell into my job jar (since my husband still works every day), I never really did enjoy cooking.   Well, I have to admit that since I've been following Weight Watchers, I've been forced to cook a whole lot more at home so that I can stay on my meal plan.  This has led to finding new and different ways to prepare food, new and interesting ingredients, and new combinations of spices and flavors.   And it turns out that cooking dinner isn't the chore that it used to be.  It's still not my favorite thing in the world, but I'm learning that caring for my body (and my husband's) through preparation of healthful, tasty meals is something that has become a little more interesting.

4.  Daily journalling and reflecting.  
This continues to be very helpful.   I've missed a day or two lately, but I always come back to this habit as a means to restore my sanity or reflect on joys of the day.   Hooray for this habit!

For My Family   

5.  Stay connected to family (and friends).
I've had so much fun with our family video chats that we established.  I love watching the kids interact with each other, giving each other advice, playing around.   I love hearing about their weeks and sharing their highs and lows as they settle in to themselves as young adults.  

I also have been able to stay connected to a good friend as she goes through a difficult time with her family. It's been nice to know that I can provide some comfort as she navigates through a tough spot.  Just being a listener is an important role to play sometimes.

6.  Participate in our son's wedding plans.  
I had a fun chat with some friends about their sons' weddings, and it made me feel good to know that some of the emotions that I'm experiencing are common with others too.   I'm so happy for my son, but there are also some twinges of bittersweet knowing that he's really, truly grown up and no longer "mine"... if that makes any sense.   What a nice time I had enjoying the stories of my friends and their families' experiences during such a special time.

For Friends and My Community    

7.  Extend at least two invitations per month to friends.
I spent the entire day with three new friends last Friday, and I had a wonderful time!   I need to make plans to get together with these great people again soon.

8.  Volunteer at least three hours per month in my community.  
Februrary is more than half over and I've not gotten anything scheduled on the calendar yet.   Better get cracking!

For Our Home

9.  Purge and organize the house by May 1.   
Today is the day... I'm going to get started with closets today and see what I can accomplish.  Wish me luck!

Oh, hey, I finally got all the Christmas decorations stored away.  So that's something, right?

10.  Work in the yard at least 3 hours per week.  
Nothing to report here, except I did manage to refill the bird feeders before the ice storm hit the other day.   It's just so cold!!!

11.  Allow time for at least two fun home decor projects per month.   
I haven't made any progress here, but I'm hoping today I'll get the curtains hung in my daughter's bedroom.  We'll see.

For Sweet Adelines

12.  Personal singing rehearsal at least 4 hrs per week.  
Oh my gosh, I've been rehearsing so much, and it's making a huge difference in my skills.   Yay me!

13.  Do daily vocal exercises for 15 minutes, for 30 days.  
I've totally bailed on this goal.

14.  Complete the CHC New Member Handbook by Feb 28th.  
We finally figured out how to get me on to the online site, and so I was able to get all of my currently completed documentation up on the website the other night.  I have a few more drafts that are ready for review, and I need to create some more drafts to keep this project moving.  I'm about 1/5 done.  Doesn't look like I'll make the Feb 28 deadline that I set, but maybe I'll be done by the end of March?

15.  Serve the Region 19 Silver Sorority champion's organization with at least 2 hours of activity per week.  
This project is well underway with lots of moving parts and people taking action.   At this moment, my job is to herd the cats into the corral, which is a little challenging but good.   Making progress.


How about you? How are you doing with your New Year's resolutions?  I'd love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment