Sunday, December 7, 2014

Advent 2014 - Week 2 - Peace

"As this season of “sparkle and bright” unfolds around us, the silent prayers of peace lie like stars hidden in a clouded night. 
"May we inspire the world with peace. May we touch it to our lives that in every place of stress, frustration, or fear, we might feel the presence of peace easing our hearts and transforming our lives. And may we share the its healing power with our children, that they might become the inspiration through which peace makes its way to a new yet-dreamt-of world."
by Greta Vosper






What does "peace" mean in the day to day life of an American empty-nester woman?  And how can I bring peace to others?

A simple definition of peace is "getting along with others without conflict."   And yes, that's a goal for me in my relationships.   Sometimes peace looks like not taking the bait when someone goads or taunts me with a contentious point of view.  Sometimes bringing peace means helping my sister see my mom's point of view, or vice versa.  Sometimes peace is when I set aside my opinion in favor of bringing comfort to someone I love.

But there's more to it than just "getting along".  Bringing peace looks a lot like making donations to the Angel Tree at the mall.   Showing peace is as simple as offering a kind word to a stranger in need.  It's choosing the kindest option, every chance you get, in any interaction with any human being.

It's not a thing to think of only at Christmas time.  It's a way of life.

As Maya Angelou said, "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

Being a Peace Bringer is all about making people feel loved, every chance you get.

 

May Peace light the world this Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment