Thursday, December 23, 2010

Poll: Thoughts on the "Read More" feature

As I've been wandering around blogland, I've been gathering ideas for how to design a good blog.  I'm noticing features that I like, and am noticing some features that kind of bother me.  I've only been blogging for a little over a month so far, so I'm still not sure what is going to work best for me, and more importantly, for you, the readers.

I've made a design choice for my blog that I'm noticing is not very often used by others.  When you go to the home page of my blog, each blog post is shown only for the first paragraph and maybe the first photograph, then there's a link that says "Read More >>".  If you want to read the rest of the article, you have to click on that link.  I chose this style because my blog posts tend to be long with lots of photographs.  I feel that if I let the entire post show on the blog home page, then readers who are looking for additional content beyond that first article might have to scroll a really long way.

But I'm wondering if readers might not want to click to see more in the article.  Maybe you want to have the articles scroll down the page, and you can just read them all together.  This would be the more typical approach.

I wonder, what is your reading preference?

Over on the side bar, I've put a poll. I'd love to have your input.  Would you mind taking the poll to let me know what you think?

And just for grins, I've put this whole post on my blog front page - no need to click the "Read More" link for this one.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment